Introduction to a Future Psychedelic Integration Therapist

 Hey!

My name is Spencer and I am a Professional Clinical Psychology Major here at OU! I was born in Illinois, moved to Florida, then Germany, then back to Florida, and by the start of sixth grade, I had moved to Norman, Oklahoma. I have always been fascinated by science, the human mind, and different worldviews/cultures different than my own. Once I graduate from OU, I plan to go to grad school and get a Ph.D. in psychedelic integration therapy or research. Current methods of treating mental health today are not adequate, outdated, and only treat the symptoms of the issues rather than the cause of the mental issue. Prior to the pandemic taking place, this country was already facing a mental health and drug addiction crisis. Now with the pandemic, these issues in America are reaching new all-time highs. Recently, Oregon legalized Psilocybin-Assisted Therapy and the FDA has allowed clinical research studies into various psychedelic drugs that could treat depression, anxiety, addiction,  PTSD, terminal illness, or end-of-life therapy, amongst other things. Universities across the nation are opening psychedelic research centers and programs, for people like me, such as John Hopkins University. Cities around the United States, including the capital, have begun decriminalizing psychedelic drugs. Well done studies are being published showcasing safe methods to use these drugs, how non-addictive/toxic psychedelic drugs are, and their potential use for various mental health issues are increasing rapidly in the research community. For clarification, a psychedelic integration therapist is someone who meets with a person before and after they have a mental health professional assisted psychedelic therapy experience. It is someone who answers questions or concerns prior to such an experience, and someone who you talk to afterward to both understand their experience better but also integrate what they learned into long-term healing for that individual. The coolest part of my major is that I get to work in a new, developing, field that has the potential to greatly help people heal from their mental health problems. I also really enjoy the varying responses I receive from people when I tell them about my future career. The best class I took last semester was the African American Research studies course where I wrote a 27 page paper about the psychedelic drugs' potential in creating a better, more equitable, mental health future and the steps needed so that the people suffering most from mental health issues could finally have access to medical help. My biggest accomplishment of last semester was most likely writing that massive paper I just mentioned. I also received straight A's but that paper I wrote meant a lot more to me personally. In the future, I hope to open my own psychedelic integration office and potentially participate in research too. I dream of helping revolutionize psychology, understand the human brain better, and help people understand and heal from their mental health issues in their lives. I know too many people who suffer from mental health issues and have given up on antidepressants or pharmaceutical drugs that are addictive and harmful on their accounts. I dream of helping people like them, who want it and have sought help in the past but have failed to heal quite yet. My dream job would be to become a college professor, when I am old, to teach people about psychedelic therapy and how the old paradigm of psychology was hindered by its denial of psychedelic drugs' medical potential for mental health. My favorite hobbies include meal-prepping/cooking, frisbee golf, meditation, reading, binging tv shows, and hanging with friends in my free time. Whenever I am not doing that, I am either studying or working at Panera Bread on Main street. If you see a tall white guy with a red hat working there, that's me! 

Hope y'all liked the introduction! Apologies in advance for the long explanation, I am quite used to explaining these concepts to people since the education and knowledge on this topic are drenched with misinformation and past propaganda. I look forward to this class and what the stories we will read will teach us.



A picture of Brody (half Boxer, half Great Dane), taken by me!


Comments

  1. Hi!
    I am also a psychology major here at OU and I definitely agree with your thoughts on the mental health problem in this country. It was a problem long before the pandemic and has only been worsened. Mental health is not treated as a serious issue by many people, including many government officials who do not provide enough resources to those struggling with mental health issues. I really respect your dedication to this field. We definitely need more people like you making decisions and conducting research in the mental health field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that sounds great, Spencer: I am guessing you can find some good topics to look at in connection with this class that will resonate with psychedelic integration therapy. The traditions of meditation and mantras are very ancient in India, and are very much about inducing new states of consciousness. Just how and to what degree psychedelics were used in ancient times is not clear, but there is some mysterious soma that is very much part of ancient Vedic tradition: Soma... and, of course, there is the fascinating story of Ram Dass (Richard Alpert), who died recently; he had a great love of the Ramayana, as you might have guessed from the name he chose (Ram Dass means something like "devoted to Rama"). Lots about him at Wikipedia: Ram Dass ... and specifically re: LSD: Harvard Psilocybin Project / psychedelic counterculture. So it sounds like this class might turn out to be a really useful area of exploration for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Spencer! I have never heard about psychedelic integration therapist before, but it sounds very interesting. I hope the use of psychedelics in treating mental health becomes legal and mainstream because it sounds like it could help a lot of people. It does sound like you have a very well thought out plan for your life, and it sounds very interesting too! Good luck this semester and with the rest of your academic career and hopefully I'll read a couple of your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Spencer!

    I am also a psychology major at OU, as well. You could not have worded it better about the problems regarding mental health in this country. I believe that it is very upsetting that people do not think mental health is an issue here. Now more than ever, especially with the pandemic going on, mental health issues are skyrocketing. I hope you continue on the path that you want to go on. I love to read and cook as well. I love binging television show, but then I get sad because I have to wait a year or longer for the next season to come, all while hoping that it does not get cancelled. The next time I got to that Panera, I will look for you and say we are in the same online class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Spencer!
    I don't know very much about Psychology besides the one class that I took in high school four years ago so I really enjoyed you explaining everything to me so I don't go believe some fake news source on the internet! I find it so cool that you were born in the United States, moved to Germany and ended up coming back here. I think some point in my life, I want to travel overseas and live out of the US for a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Spencer I love that you take interest in mental health because like you said it truly feels like it's come to the forefront during this pandemic. Having people like you who care and want to help people is awesome and I thank you. Once people start taking mental health more seriously we'll all be better people. I can't believe you wrote a 27 page paper, that's crazy impressive. Also love your dog I'm planning on getting a puppy this year and Great dane is one of my options.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts