Growth Mindset Reflection

The concept of the growth mindset is not a new one to me. Although I am not sure where I have heard it in the past, as I watched the Ted Talk I thought of my own perspective in dealing with problems in general. Whether it be at work or in class, it's always been a question of whether I have had enough studying time or practice to do something right. That also includes how I train people at Panera, I always tell people that practice makes perfect and that they simply haven't practiced/worked enough to be as fast as me when making sandwiches or salads.  Or, as Carol Dweck said, 'not yet'. Being held back in second grade and the bullying that followed that event, I think I cultivated a growth mindset to believe in my own ability to achieve things and to become a better student. In addition to this, seeing around 20 space shuttles go up into space when living in Florida left a profound amount of inspiration in what human beings could achieve if only they tried hard enough. These events in my childhood, I believe, helped me become successful both in work and school. In addition to this, I think my Parent's teaching style left me with a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset.

The concept of growth mindset and 'Not yet' is quite compelling, especially when you relate it to underprivileged communities and it's potential to help people learn. 

I am interested in a growth mindset and hope we discuss this later in the semester. 

I found the article by Dave Paunesku to be extremely informative. I think he makes great points such as the teacher's relationship with the student matters greatly in how they communicate to the student and the conditions of the learning environment. A growth mindset is surely helpful, but without the right environment or resources, it's not as helpful. To create an equitable, fair, and beneficial classroom many steps are needed by the teacher (not the student) to create environments that foster learning, acceptance, and achievement. 


This photo showcases some of the differences between growth and fixed mindsets that people have. 
Source: Pinterest


Comments

Popular Posts